The picture shows the front and the back of a double cell with pinch terminals and wire connections to cell terminals.
A new encapsulation process is now used for our solar cells. It uses a water based water proof protective conformal coating. The new process involves placing on the back of the cell, over the protective coating, a double sided thin foam adhesive tape that adds a degree of rigidity to the flexible cell. Clear PVC is attached to the adhesive tape.
- Double solar cell – 3V / 300mA
- Specification sheet
- PV Tech – How a Solar Cell is Manufactured
- Teacher support documents
The Plugging into the Sun® flexible solar cell is at the centre of a unique range of renewable energy educational resources and activities.
Assembly kits, activities & experiments for 2-Q double cells:
- model solar car
- solar cell tests
- electric circuit investigations, parallel, series, voltage, current, resistance and power
- rechargeable battery maintenance
- solar electric clock kit
- solar powered buzzers, bulbs, motors, LEDs, electronic circuits and electromagnetism
- propeller spinners, radio, fan and mini-water pump
- daylight investigations, movement & inclination of the sun, earth’s atmosphere and cloud cover
Triple-Junction Cell Specification
- double cell laminate
- thin-film amorphous silicon 177mm x 80mm x mm thick
- weight: 23g with pinch terminals
- output 4.2V open circuit – under natural light conditions
- 3 V* (stable) and 300 mA*
- *figures are accurate to +/- 10%
- flexible, virtually unbreakable
- waterproof, high power/weight ratio
- durable, 20 year+ useful life
- responds to diffuse light (light scattered by cloud cover)
- pinch terminal connections allow for easy connection to devices
Find out about UNI-SOLAR® Technology
See the single solar cell page for details of 1-Q PV cell used with older solar car models.
Electrical connection options
- pinch terminals
- wires (150 mm or to your requirements) and crocodile clips
- pre-tinned solder tabs
INSTRUCTIONS: HOW TO INSERT MOTOR WIRES of CAR INTO THE ‘CLOTHS PEG’ PINCH TERMINALS
STEP 1 Press the two wings of the silver ‘clothes peg’ like pinch terminal together and a hole will pop out on the right.
STEP 2 Insert the silver wire end STRAIGHT down into the hole.
STEP 3 Release the two wings and the wire will be gripped.
TO REMOVE THE WIRE press the two wings of the terminal together, SECURELY grip the motor wire end and GENTLY pull the end of the wire STRAIGHT up.