Solar Model Car Educational Kits
Design Reg. No. 2100527, 22/03/2001 Body shell design service Body shell templates (top & bottom) and design instructions
These solar educational kits include everything needed to build a lightweight high performance model solar car:
- durable Solar-Active flexible double solar cell
- solar electric motor, fixings, wheels, axles and transmission
- comprehensive illustrated assembly instructions, curriculum schedule and student worksheets, PV and renewable energy technical/educational notes.
Double Cell [ 2-Q ] Solar Model Car Educational Kit
Design Reg. No. 3019064, 13/10/2004
Starter Kits from £32.50 & £37.50 (exclusive of p&p and VAT)
Single Cell Solar Model Car Educational Kits
Design Reg. No. 2100527, 22/03/2001
- One flexible PV cell (cells can be connected and built into higher power cars)
- Solar cell orientation is adjustable on each car (high or low front end)
- Transmission and wheel sub-assemblies are interchangeable between cars
- With a high front end assembly the wheels can be swiveled to steer the car
The kits present a problem-solving hands-on approach to learning how energy from the sun can be used to power electric devices.
Model Solar Powered Car Events using these kits.
A solar vehicle converts the sun’s energy directly into electricity. The working model provides a novel educational tool teaching science, design & technology and renewable energy concepts.
See some student reports on their solar car activities.
We can supply a range of wheel and transmission arrangements including toothed gears, worm gears, pulley systems and a 3-speed gearbox unit.
Wheel & transmission sub-assemblies are easily attached and removed from the car so you can experiment with different configurations, and always have the solar cell available for other applications.
Pupils must consider the effects of friction, weight, power, gravity, inertia, when they design the solar car and select materials for wheels, axles, bearings and chassis.
- designed-for-disassembly with reusable parts
- will run in non-ideal conditions including diffuse sunlight
- adaptable and with multiple configurations giving scope for innovative design
- advantages with amorphous silicon over crystalline in our applications, robust, flexible, responds to light scattered by cloud cover
- resources of two or more kits may be combined
- components are suitable for use in a range of educational, modeling, robotics and demonstration projects
- designed for use with schools existing equipment resources
- visible subsystems make mechanical processes easier to understand
The PV cell, motors, axles and gears in these kits are compatible with widely available pulley sets, gearboxes, chains and sprockets, boat and fan propellers. Backup resources are available with guidance tips, renewable energy teacher notes & posters.
Runs entirely from the power of the sun!
This is our most popular kit that runs faster than every other model we’ve seen at this price range.
Solar-Active car kits & flexible cells have been successfully used in the UK and overseas at the following recent events:
1. The solar cell used in the car kit is unique:
- flexible & tough (175 mm x 60 mm less than 1 mm thick)
- light-weight, 18 g (high power/weight ratio)
- output 330 mA, 1.2 V (tandem)1.5 V (triple) (stable)
- durable, 20 year useful lifespan
- responds to diffuse light (light scattered by cloud cover)
- chassis of the car is the cell itself
- technology used in cell is exactly the same as used in industrial and domestic PV applications
- robust and can be handled with safety (unlike inferior cells encased in glass)
2. The car kit is designed to use:
- multiple gear configurations
- front wheel alignment design allows for adjustment to sun’s position in the sky
- variety of wheel choices
- a body design created by the car builder
3. The car kit is linked to National Curriculum outcomes in science, mathematics, sustainable development, geography and Design & Technology and Maths.
4. It is possible to build a body for the car. We have designed a template for this. It allows anyone building the body to design their own ‘fun body’. It could be decorated either by hand using paint, felt tip pens etc. or one could use an appropriate computer drawing program found in most schools.
5. You can download the body templates from our website to personalise your car design.
Renewable Energy Awareness Workshops
Schools & Homes Energy Education Project in collaboration with UK-ISES