The following procedure enables you to:
- Measure the maximum power Pmax that a photovoltaic (PV) cell can deliver to a resistive load under given conditions of illumination;
- Calculate the maximum cell efficiency and the load resistance RLmax for maximum power output;
- Measure short-circuit current ISC, open-circuit voltage VOC and calculate the fill factor FF;
- See the variation of output power with time during the day as the sun moves across the sky and as the distance that the solar radiation has to travel through the atmosphere varies.
- Connect the solar cell and meter as shown in fig.1 – at this stage leaving out a load resistor, RL.
- Illuminate the cell with your light source.
Want to find out more?
We’re always listening and want to hear from Teachers, Parents and Students.
If you want to know anything more about the service, have an idea for a resource or are interested in a workshop, please do get in touch.